Wednesday, July 12, 2017

TURA SATANA IS BACK! Long Lost Television Shows featuring the Fastest Pussycat!

All around 2009 I (Mitch O’Connell) had the pleasure of Chicago’s ’Tattoo Factory’ being my home away from home. There, out of the blue, owner Paul Collurafici bought me a tattoo machine and lined up folks for me to learn tattooing on. Tattooist Beth Cisco let me apprentice sitting next to her many evenings as I unsuccessfully tried to emulate her impressive skills. Much more successful were the “Tattoo Factory Gallery” shows we put on in the adjacent space that Paul was gracious enough to let us use. We coordinated many amazing shows there utilizing the top-notch artists from The Factory, and the best lowbrow artists of the world. This culminated in a show for the ages, “TURA! TURA! TURA!”, a tribute to “Faster Pussycat Kill! Kill!” star and icon Tura Satana. Luckily for historians, Paul was making “Tattoo Factory TV” a half-hour weekly show about the great artists there, the clients and all the events Beth and I (with the hard work of many others) were up to. When I tried to track down the footage recently, Paul couldn’t find copies of anything, but luckily pal Ron Murphy taped these six episodes when originally broadcast and let me borrow the tapes. Now this slice of Chicago history is back for you to enjoy!
For even more, pick up my book of art which includes an extensively illustrated chapter all about that time- 
https://www.amazon.com/Mitch-OConnell-Worlds-Best-Artist/dp/0867197730
And for more Tura art-
http://mitchoconnell.blogspot.com/2014/11/tura-satana-decades-of-drawing-fastest.html








No comments:

Post a Comment